Sunday, October 13, 2013

Washington's Passion for Gardens: Patriotism or Distraction?

In Andrea Wulf's book, Founding Gardeners, she opens with the notion that in the mist of fighting the British for freedom, George Washington was concerning himself with designing his garden at Mt. Vernon.

 Wulf writes, "It may seem baffling that amid this unprecedented crisis the commander-in-cheif  was designing new ornamental groves for his pleasure ground."
Rhododendron, a preferred flowering plant of Washington

Upon looking further into Washington's letters home about his garden, he is revealed as a true patriot. He ordered everything planted in his garden was to be an American plant, nothing European, especially not English.

Even knowing that Washington's gardens were designed with America in mind, are we comfortable with our commander-in-cheif devoting so much time to his hobby? Especially in the time of war?

Firstly, let me acknowledge that everyone deserves some downtime, some way to unwind.  To say that Washington's interest in his gardens was a distraction would be incorrect.  Did America gain its independence? Then as far as I am concerned, mission accomplished.

Is there anyway to measure if Washington's gardening urges is the cause of some failure?

 Troops died from disease and undersupply of goods, not sure that that could be attributed to Washington pondering which trees to plant beside his house.

It is hard to say today if Washington did anything wrong as we are where we are now in large part because of him and accept it as good.

I enjoy knowing that Washington was able to experience a passion outside of war and politics and it actually makes me feel even more patriotic knowing that our first president loved America so much and had such high hopes for our futures that even when he retreated to his home to escape the demands of being a military and political genius, the United States of America was still very much on him mind. It seems on the deepest level, Washington loved his country.

This idea challenges me to think of how I may join my passions. I hope to become a teacher one day, not for the summers off or pension but because I love students and love sharing information. I also love horses and fox hunting.  Two completely separate passions, much like the difference in the passion for starting a new nation and gardening.

Washington with one of his famous white horses. My way of combining my passions of history and horses.
I combine my passions by bringing in articles about horses and history-related topics to my class (where I intern).

To do our jobs well, Washington and I, or anyone need to have an escape.  But to know that our job is always on our minds even when pursuing our passion is a comforting thought.  When anyone pursues a career, I hope he or she may consider if they love it so much that it leaks into their way to escape.


The masterpiece of a garden at Mt. Vernon.

No comments:

Post a Comment