Sunday, October 6, 2013

Jefferson: A Free Man

"Never did a prisoner, released from his chains, feel such a relief as I shall in shaking off the shackles of power"


Does Jefferson and his family's absolute love for their garden translate to today's society?


I argue yes. In the beginning of chapter 8, we see the total extent to Jefferson's love for his garden.  Moreover, his grandchildren s absolute love to write him about everything taking place in the garden.  Many people may argue that these traits conveyed, would not translate to today's culture.  Based on personal and factual evidence, I would like to point out why these traits have not all been killed by time.  
Monticello 


Jefferson was simply a man with a love for his hobby.  Through exposure, this hobby had moved through not only his children hearts, but even the hearts of his grandchildren. Personally, the same situation has occurred within my family.  My grandfather, my father, and I, all have a love for making furniture out of wood.  Although I am confined to making it while I am home,  the same situation occurs.  If my father is not talking about present day issues, he is talking about his next project with his new table saw.  Are we geeks because of this? Maybe. It is not the first thing I bring up when I meet someone, but it is all I can think about on my free time.  The same thing occurred with Jefferson while in the White house. "the subject runs away with me whenever I get on it"on 

Another interesting tangent is the peace that Jefferson's garden brought him.  As we know, Jefferson found it quite difficult to stay optimistic about his Presidential duties during the end of his second term.  When times got tough, he found peace in thinking about his garden.  The same goes with my father and I.  He is a United States Marine, so when he gets home, he eats, and goes strait to the garage to have some "me" tome with his projects.  This shows me that however though a situation can be, its the things you love in life that get you through.  Jefferson had an extreme passion for his garden, which I think made him the outstanding person we know him as today. One thing you don't want to mess with, is a man and his hobby. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment