Friday, October 25, 2013

The Gardens of Today

The Gardens of Today
            Andrea Wulf, in her novel Founding Gardeners, describes the Founding Fathers in a different way than how the history textbooks and schools generally describe them. They were gardeners and had a passion for agriculture and nature. Washington, Jefferson, and Madison had beautiful gardens and homes that they constantly thought about day in and day out. Washington thought of Mount Vernon during the war and could not wait to return. Jefferson was devoted to his home back at Monticello, writing detailed letters to his daughters to understand every detail of every aspect of hid garden. Madison had his estate of Montpelier and, like Jefferson, used nature and gardens to retreat from the stresses of politics. Jefferson's passion for growth and nature helped influence his purchase of the Louisiana Territory and push for westward expansion. Adams was intrigued with farms and his simple garden back home. All of these men promoted self preservation and some desired America to be an agrarian society. Gardening and agriculture was centered around our Founding Fathers' lives. 
            Are there leaders or even citizens in America that are as passionate about gardening today? I feel that there are, but I also think that our gardens today are more metaphorical. People's gardens today vary from their passion and also where they take refuge. For some, their garden is actually a garden or maybe a farm. For others, its their house, constantly retreating to their home and adding new decorations, pictures, or furniture. For my dad, it was his small 7 1/2  acre ranch. After a busy week of constant proposals at the office, he would take refuge on the tractor and just take care of the land and horses. Most people would hate to come home to work on the land but for my dad it was relaxing and enjoyable. 
My dad's ranch home
 For others, it might be their family, working and keeping the relationships of every member. Some people might have a garden of a collection they might have such as coins. As for me, my garden would have to be the church and the people I know. I put forth the most service to the church and try to work and keep the relationships that I am in. If something is wrong, I put my energy into it until everything is fine. Relationships are hard work such as a garden. The church is where I can worship to God, relax, serve, and get revived. God is who I live for because of the grace given through my savior Jesus Christ, first and foremost, and it is what He has created and the people He has put in my life that I strive to work and keep. Gardens are different for many people and I think today they are more metaphorical than the gardens we see in the time of our Founding Fathers. So, what is your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment