Monday, September 30, 2013

The Sublime Meets Functionality


Throughout chapter seven, one thing I noticed was the fine line that Wulf drew between the functionality and beauty of nature and how these two aspects fit together seamlessly. Beauty has not only been a common theme throughout “Founding Gardeners” but has been a hallmark that provides solace and therapy for the founding fathers of our beloved country. However, I feel that in this chapter we see the functionality and scientific aspects that nature embodies, as well.
 
I thought it was interesting that to even convince Congress to allocate funds towards the scientifically motivated expansion, Jefferson had to take the economic stance. Readers find out quickly that this trip had no other motive than to broaden scientific and political thinking. One thing that stood out to me was the way that beauty- more specifically sublimity- and science intertwined. Jefferson told Lewis to look at things not only from a standpoint of how they could be used to further America, but to also really look at and appreciate the magnificent surroundings.


“So perfect indeed are these walls, I should have thought that nature had attempted here to rival the human art.”

The last concept that really peaked my interest was the idea that “people were influenced and determined by their surroundings,” and how this concept was applied to the rugged and wild terrain of the West (167).  This turns the unlandscaped West (usually looked upon as a negative) into a symbolic representation of the powerful untamed potential the infant America holds. This summer I went to Colorado, and while I was reading this chapter I could only think about the sublime nature I saw in Rocky Mountain National Park. Some photos from my visit are below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment